Archive - Obituary
September 21st, 2011
Elizabeth "Betty" Johnson, 82, a resident of The Lutheran Home at Kane, formerly of Lamont, died Monday afternoon, Sept. 19, 2011 at the Kane Community Hospital.
Born Feb. 27, 1929 in Lamont, she was the daughter of Anton and Susie Kozik Weritz.Â On June 18, 1946 in Kane, she married Charles Everett Johnson, who died in 1991.
Mrs. Johnson was a homemaker and was a member of St. Callistus Catholic Church in Kane.
Margaret D. Anderson, 89, a resident of the Lutheran Home at Kane, died Sunday, Sept. 18, 2011, at Kane Community Hospital.
Born April 2, 1922, in Johnsonburg, she was a daughter of Thomas M. and Pearl Johnston Dougherty.Â On Aug. 18, 1956, in Kane, she married Richard â€śDickâ€ť Anderson who preceded her in death.
Mrs. Anderson served as a nurseâ€™s aide with the Waves in the U.S. Navy during World War II.
Betty Marie O'Donnell Nortum, 91, died Monday morning, Sept. 19, 2011 at The Lutheran Home at Kane.
Born Nov. 15, 1919 in Erie, she was the daughter of Dr. John J. and Marie White O'Donnell.Â She was married to Robert Nortum, who preceded her in death.
Martha Jane Sarvey, 91, formerly of Mt. Jewett, passed away Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011 at the Summerville (S.C.) Medical Center.
She was born in Brookville on Oct. 23, 1919 to the late Walter Nolph and Myrtle Schreckengost Nolph. She married to George A. Sarvey Sr.
She is suvived by her two children, Suzanna (Rodney) Gordon of North Charleston, S.C. and George (Linda) Sarvey of Lake Forest, Calif; and one sister, Doris (Arnold) Johns of Brookville. Also surviving are six grandchildren including Chris Sarvey of Kane and numerous great-grandchildren.
Richard â€śDickâ€ť C. Johnson, 99, of 929 Burning Well Rd., Wilcox, died Saturday, Sept. 17, 2011, at Pinecrest Manor in St. Marys.
Born Nov. 15, 1911, in Wilcox, he was a son of Peter and Freda Carlson Johnson.
Mr. Johnson served in the U.S. Army with the 4th Division during World War II.
He was a member of Nazareth Lutheran Church and belonged to the Wilcox Masonic Lodge. He also was a member of the Wilcox American Legion and the Wilcox Senior Center.
He worked at the Wilcox Tannery until its closing and then retired from Warren State Hospital where he had later been employed.
Myrtle L. Harris, 67, of Oak Lane, passed away on Sunday evening, Sept. 11, 2011, at the Geisinger Medical Center, Danville.â€¨â€¨She was born Nov. 5, 1943, in Braddock, a daughter of the late Wallace G. and Rosaline A. (Heinz) Schleicher. On April 30, 1972, she married Ralph W. Harris Sr. who preceded her in death on Aug. 13, 2010.â€¨â€¨Earlier in her life she had been employed as a waitress and a nursing care assistant. She retired after more than 20 years of service as a truck driver with Shaffer Trucking.
Randy Lawrence Nelson Jr., 25, of 7 Midnoon Dr., Martinsburg, died Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, in Martinsburg.
He was born May 31, 1986 in Pittsburgh to Randy Lawrence Sr. and Deborah Kay Beasley Nelson, of Martinsburg.
He was a 2004 graduate of Hedgesville High School, where he was involved in the drama club, show choir and soccer. He attended Blue Ridge Community College and received his bachelor's degree from Shepherd University and was working toward his masters degree at American Public University System in Charles Town.
Charles R. "Chuck" Hultman Sr., age 74, of 200 Broad St., Brockway, died September 13, 2011 at U.P.M.C. - Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh.
He was born May 21, 1937, in Kane, son of Charles W. and Viola Anderson Hultman
He was married to Judith A. Runyan, she preceded him in death Oct. 19, 2003
Gary Wayne Powell, 61, a 1967 graduate of Hornell Senior High School, died on April 15, 2011 in San Francisco after a two year battle with brain cancer.
Pearl M. Lantz, 88, formerly of Mt. Jewett, died Saturday, Sept. 10, 2011, at the Lutheran Home at Kane.
Born May 14, 1923, in Smethport, she was a daughter of Frank and Mildred Maley Barbour.Â On May 30, 1942, in Smethport, she married Victor L. Lantz who died Aug. 17, 2011.
Mrs. Lantz had worked at Stackpole.Â She was a member of St. Margaretâ€™s Episcopal Church and belonged to the American Legion Auxiliary.