- COMMUNITY LINKS
In just four days, excited Kane area children will be waking up Christmas morning in their homes to see what wonderful gifts Santa Claus has delivered this year.
Three young Kane boys at this point don't have a home and may be waking up Christmas morning in a motel room.
A fire Thursday night forced the boys and their guardians to flee the house they rented at 629 Park Ave., Kane. They've been staying at local motels ever since. Unless the family finds a new house to rent in the near future, it appears Santa will be dropping off Christmas gifts at their motel.
"My Christmas wish is to have a new place to call home," Barbara "Shelly" Floyd said Tuesday.
The 51-year-old widow is the legal guardian for her three great-nephews-- Douglas Graves Jr., 8; Cory Graves, 6; and Dylan Graves, 5. They attend the Kane Elementary School.
Floyd and the three boys resided in the rental two-story house on Park Avenue along with Floyd's 20-year-old daughter, Gabrielle and Gabrielle's long-haired chihuahua "Mailbox."
All escaped injury in the fire reported at 11:50 p.m. Thursday.
Dylan-- the youngest boy-- is a patient at a Clarion Hospital with health issues not caused by the fire and smoke. He is expected to return to his family in time for Christmas.
The two-story Park Avenue house now is inhabitable. Damage has been estimated at $30,000.
The American Red Cross helped by the family by providing a room at the Best Western Motel in Bradford. The family later moved to the Kaneview Motel and now is staying at the Getaway Motel at Lantz Corners.
Floyd said she appreciates the temporary accommodations, but really is wishing to find a new home before Christmas.
"I'd prefer to have a home for Christmas," she said. "A single-family dwelling would be best."
See full article by purchasing the Dec. 21 edition of The Kane Republican.