Photo by Amy Geer â€“ The Thomas L. Kane Memorial Chapel is now owned by the Kane Historic Preservation Society. The group hopes to have the "doors open as much as possible," and envisions the piece of Kane history being the site of weddings, ceremonies, art shows and theater productions.
The Thomas L. Kane Memorial Chapel, perhaps the only building in Kane borough where both the townâ€™s founder and his wife, Elizabeth Kane, stood in, has been deeded over to the Kane Historic Preservation Society from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
The chapel was built between 1876 and 1878 under the direction of Thomas L. Kane with money given to him by his aunt, Ann Gray Thomas. The Presbyterian Church was dedicated to his motherâ€™s parents, Thomas Leiper and Elizabeth Coultas Gray and their ten children.